Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Morgan Is Three!!!

Three years ago today, Morgan Siena was born! Looking back, I was so clueless about what parenthood was like and how much she would change my life. After three years of motherhood, I feel like a 'veteran' of sorts, mainly because I can't quite remember the 'me' that I was before she came into my life. She has taught me so much about myself in the process, and the world...as strange as that sounds. Having a child puts everything around you in a new perspective, teaching you empathy, forgiveness, determination, patience, and what it means to finally grow up.

I hear people say that your child's birthday should also be a celebration for the mom, because you made the day possible and put in all that work. But I see Morgan's birthday as such a celebration of all that she has accomplished already. This third birthday is a much bigger deal to me because now she suddenly seems like a little girl, so independent and on her way in the world. So many big changes have happened lately as Morgan heads into the 'kid years.' She is suddenly so helpful and pretty cooperative most of the time. She plays by herself and with other kids independently, making up games and using her imagination. She even thinks about the new baby a lot, telling me that she wants to share a certain toy with him/her or help me change the diapers. She has been really fun to be around lately (not that she wasn't before, but...you know). But I've been warned about 3s being harder than 2s, but so far, she is such a joy. Another milestone this month was Morgan saying good-bye to her bedtime binkies. The binky fairy came and took them away to new babies and left her a big girl backpack!

Morgan also had her first haircut! She was pretty worried that it would hurt, but by the time we had the appointment, she was fine with it.
Before picture: long, baby curlsDuring: thinks its fun to touch the hair that was cut off
After picture: she has cute, bouncy hair!
On Sunday, we had a great celebration for Morgan's birthday with family and friends. Despite the rain, Morgan met a few neighborhood friends at our park and played and had cupcakes. She especially loved carrying the balloons all the way there. Morgan has a new 3 year-old girl posse, and they all love the tire swing and could spin in circles all day long.

Later, we had quite a few friends and family over to our place for an 'Oktoberfest' themed party (I am a firm believer that kids parties must appeal to adults as well!). We had some German food and good Oakshire microbrews (or so I'm told). Morgan ran around playing with Avery and other kid friends, and the grown ups seemed to be having a good time too. Morgan got some very nice presents that she was too busy to open (but she had a ball the next day opening and playing with each one - like the Halloween pj's and dressy skirt she refused to take off - in the top photo).
We got to watch the flock of migrating swifts fly into the school chimney at dusk, so that was some fun entertainment. Then we came inside for Morgan's monkey cake that she was so excited about. She loved getting sung to - her smile was priceless - and blew the candles out all by herself this year. As she was eating cake, she turned to me and said, "Now am I threeee?!?" Even though it wasn't officially her birthday for three more days, I shouted, "Yes!" I figured I brought her into the world, so I could proclaim her three a little bit early! Happy Birthday, Morgan! We love you!

1 comment:

Nana said...

How darling!! She is growing up too fast. Just think, she is at the age you were when you and Naomi met. Maybe one of her "park" friends will turn into her life-long buddy!! You 2 are raising a wonderful little lady. Congratulations!!