Thursday, January 21, 2010

Change is in the Air

It's here...almost. It's that smell that has been absent during the cold, rainy months of winter. Yes, I realize we are still in one of those months, but I can smell things starting to come alive and grow. I also smell a lot of mud, but I think the plant world is trying to rise from its winter sleep. I have also seen bulb sprouts pushing up through the ground and, my absolute favorite, daphne buds forming on shrubs. (I have already began scouting neighbors' yards where I can snip a few branches when they bloom - at night of course.)

I'm not quite sure what has been going on the past few weeks, as this is my first blog of the new year. I don't even think I wrote much about Christmas. In a nutshell, it was really, really nice, full of traditions, fun with family, and the joy of seeing it through my daughter's eyes. Then came New Year's, the de-Christmasing process, friends visiting, trips to the beach, family stuff.....and a huge let down. I had such a wonderful Christmas and was excited for 2010, but now that it's here, all I can think about is spring and sunshine (rather, lack thereof).
Hanging out in Pioneer Square with the umbrella man statue.
The first of many trips to the Children's Museum - Clifford was a real treat!
Learning how to build sand castles on the beach.
But this week, we were blessed with some sunshine, AND (most importantly), I was able to get out of the house with my independent-minded toddler and enjoy it! Our house is very quiet, nestled into the west hills, but also devoid of much direct sunlight, especially at this time of year. Most days I don't know what the weather is doing, and by the time I do (because the weather forecasts seem wrong most of the time), Morgan is napping, eating, or just plain impossible to get dressed and out the door. Add the fact that we are potty training (another whole story), and I am getting a bit of cabin fever!

One way to get Mo out outside is on her "big girl" bike, that was handed down from Noah and Avery. She loves "riding it," and I love seeing her explore yet another part of growing up. So the past couple days we have spent time at the park riding her bike, sliding, swinging, soaking up some vitamin D, watching kids, and chasing after her persistent shadow. If the days are getting longer, we can get outside more, signs of spring are slowly appearing, and I get some yoga in a couple times a week, I think I can hang in there.

2 comments:

Nana said...

WHO taught her to stick her tongue out?!!! Sam? I know Mommy wouldn't do that!! She is getting so grown-up looking-I love those pants she has on. Ava would call them crazy pants!!

Robin said...

That face is not typical - for some reason I told Morgan to stick her tongue out. Fortunately, she hasn't done it since!