Saturday, January 5, 2008

A New Kind of Travel


We just spent a week in Barra de Navidad, Mexico with our families for Christmas, and it was our first vacation since Morgan was born. I have been fortunate to travel a lot in my life, and I have always brought along a journal to record my new experiences and adventures. But I realized that this was the first time I didn't have one. Instead, I had Morgan. Traveling with an infant was a new experience for Sam and I. Although everyone kept asking, "how did Morgan do?", it was really about how did we do. At three months, Morgan's needs are pretty simple, and she happens to be a very calm, content baby. So it made the whole trip very enjoyable. I have been joking lately that Morgan makes us feel like the best parents in the world because she is so easy to please (just like when you have great students, you feel like the best teacher!) Overall, Morgan was business as usual, we didn't
become totally neurotic, and we all enjoyed a very unique Christmas with both sides of our families. But thinking back on it, I remember all the changes Morgan made that week more than a lot of the things we did in Mexico. She discovered her hands and the ability to lick them like popsicles. We saw how active her bare little toes were, grasping like a monkey onto everything they touched. And she started holding her head up and taking in everything she saw around her. I know those are typical baby milestones at this age, but those are the reasons why I wished I had brought along a journal. Not to write about the hours we spent by the pool or the number of margaritas I drank, but to record these once-in-a-lifetime moments that we are privileged to see. And to record all the moments she got to spend cuddling with, smiling at, and drooling on her cousins, aunties, uncles, and grandparents. So, I thank my wonderful daughter for being such a great traveler, for letting us witness all the big and small changes in her life, and for being the best Christmas gift I've ever received.

No comments: