Saturday, December 8, 2007

Morgan's Namesake


On September 29, after months of impatiently waiting for Morgan's arrival, Sam and I (well I was very sedated and missed the whole thing) finally revealed her name to our friends and family. The name Siena came from our love of that Italian town, but many people kept asking where the name Morgan came from. When I first moved to Eugene and was unemployed (well, subbing) I worked for several weeks at a Spanish immersion school. The 5th grade class was full of hellions, but there was a really sweet girl named Morgan. I remember liking the name a lot and was thankful for at least one student who did not take great joy in making me crazy. It was also one of the few names Sam and I both liked, so it stuck.

Last night, I went to play our monthly bunco game my coworkers host (yes, we elementary teachers know how to par-tay!) I brought a few recent photos of Morgan to share, and one teacher came up and said, with a smile, how much she loved the name Morgan. She teaches kindergarten part time at my school, but somehow I never see her. The reason she loved the name so much was because her oldest daughter is also named Morgan (which I didn't know). She told me how she had also had a student named Morgan in her class one year, and loved the name. Morgan isn't a very common name, and as teachers, we hear a lot of new names each year. It was funny how she came upon the name just like I did.

But as I stood there talking, I started thinking. This teacher actually lives only a few blocks from me, and the school where I had subbed is nearby as well. I asked her if her daughter had attended the Spanish immersion school, and she said yes! Her Morgan is my Morgan! I taught her daughter two years ago, and now I work with her mother. It is all so weird. I never would have believed a coincidence like this would happen, but after living in Eugene for a couple years, it make sense. Only in Eugene would something like this happen. So, we plan on getting our two Morgan's together for a little reunion soon. Life is so funny.

2 comments:

Nana said...

WOW, that "little" one is sure growing fast. But I heard from a source that you had some props in this photo that really made her look like she was ready for Mexico. Are you censoring which ones you put on your blog?!!! She is so cute-about twice the girth of Lilah but L. is longer!! Wonder why?!! Enjoy! Nana

Auntie Michelle said...

So cute!!! I love the background on this picture! So cheerful!