
Every year for as long as I can remember, my mom has made a celebration out of watching the Academy Awards - or Oscars. It used to just be my sisters and mom, some Chinese food, and a last-minute digging through the storage room for old dress up clothes.
I'm not sure when it became an "event" though. Now I mark it on my calendar, try to go see some of the nominated films, and then think about costume ideas from those movie characters. Not only do we dress up, but we also fill out ballots for who we think will win each award. My mom always sees the most films, but it's often just luck at who guesses the most awards right. A little friendly competition.
Since our "wardrobe" selections are usually coming from old prom or bridesmaid dresses, "vintage" clothes from the storage room (still), or Goodwill, we definitely don't take ourselves too seriously. Although my mom has classed things up by adding a "red carpet" for us celebrities.
 |
| The Panzer Ladies |
 |
| The Holloways + cousin Avery |
This year the Oscars were at the end of February, so I'm a little late in posting this, but it was a fun party and I'm glad the tradition continues! In the past few years, even the dogs, grandkids, and men in the family are getting in on the fun. We couldn't even scare off Erica's boyfriend, Roger, who dressed up for the party! Morgan wore a fancy red party dress (although she told us she was a "rock star princess") and Sasha wore "vintage" - an old blue baby dress that I had when I was a baby. I'm not sure what Sam and I were but it was definitely a step out of our normal every day clothes!
 |
| The dogs are good sports! |
 |
| On the Red Carpet: A great day to start walking! |
I am so glad this crazy tradition continues. I love being silly with my mom and my sisters, and I love sharing it with the kids in our family now. They loved hanging out together (Sasha adores her cousin Noah, just like Morgan!), and hopefully they will carry on this tradition when they are older too! Thank you, Mom, for bringing a little glamour and craziness into our lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment