Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer is Here!

Ahh, it finally feels like summer has arrived....for many reasons. First, the cold rainy weather has left us and brought back dry, warm days. Second, Sam finished up a hectic round of teaching summer school that was a bit more work than he bargained for. But now he has the next 6 weeks or so off! (Well, he won't ever stop working but he is technically on vacation now.) And third, we left town for four nights for a mini vacation in Oceanside.We finally had good (amazing, really) weather. It wasn't since Labor Day weekend last year that we were at the beach and were able to sit out on the deck - usually we were dodging rain storms and waiting for the wind to knock the power out! So we were due for a wonderful beach weekend and that is what we got!
My parents joined us and they brought Avery with them, so it was even nicer that Morgan had her fabulous cousin to play with. Avery was a patient companion and sand castle-builder extraordinaire! A couple days later, my sister Diane and niece, Marissa, came to visit after just having flown in from Maui. It was so great to spend family time together at the beach.And with the nice weather, there was plenty of time to walk on the beach, enjoy the tide pools around the point during the low tides, and even go to the June Dairy Parade in Tillamook. I remember going as a kid and it is definitely a cute, small town tradition. Their theme this year was "Butter Than the Rest," and there was lots of butter decor. They passed out the usual candy, but not many parades also pass out cheese and pepperoni sticks! It was Morgan's first parade and she had been excited for it for the entire week. She was especially thrilled by the clowns and kept calling for them to come over - no fears there!I know I have said it before, but the older I get the more and more grateful I am that our family has this house in Oceanside. The little town hasn't changed much since I was a kid, and every time I go I am reminded of happy childhood memories at the beach with my family. I love sharing that with Morgan as she grows and seeing her fall in love with Oceanside too.

No comments: