What I didn't anticipate is the roller coaster ride that it would be for me. Morgan seems to be taking it in stride, but somehow my emotional barometer is tied to whether or not something appears in the potty. This probably has to do with the fact that we have been in a pretty steady parenthood groove for a while. Having a toddler, instead of rapidly changing infant, has given us a sense of confidence, knowing
I'd read books that had ways to tell if your child was ready for potty training. I bought "supplies" to get ready (big girl undies, stickers, potty books, reward charts, pull ups, special wipes, etc. etc.), but none of that magically taught Morgan how to do it, or made me feel any more ready to take this on. And I didn't want to be
Then, as if there was a sign from the potty gods, we had the first annual "Naked Poncho Day." I could also have called it "No, Mom, I'm going to be naked and not get dressed and not go to play group where you have a chance to talk to adults and you will be my hostage here at home and yes I will wear only my green poncho Day!" but I didn't. Instead, I turned a moment of toddler spontaneity/insubordination into the kick-off day for potty training my daughter!
Fortunately for me, Morgan caught on pretty quickly once the diapers were off. We are slathering on the praise and cheers and hugs for all her success (as you can tell in the video below). In the beginning, every time Morgan made a "deposit" she got to call and tell someone - like Daddy or Grandma Dinda. She liked leaving detailed messages to like, "Hi, I went pee pee... in the potty. Bye." Once, we called Sam who was in the dining hall at the university and he had to discretely tell Morgan he was proud of her without the students around him catching on. Another time, we called Grandma Dinda and Aunt Amy and cousin Amanda happened to be at her house. Morgan received a round of applause and cheers from them over the phone - it was like a celebrity endorsement.
So while we are definitely not at the final destination on this journey, we have crossed some bumpy terrain and are well on the way to Diaper-Free-Big-Girl Land. And while I am not very proud of how much I have talked about the potty in the last few weeks to anyone who would listen, I am very proud of Morgan...and yes, a little proud of myself too.
[PS: I dedicate this blog post to my mom, who made sure I mastered this potty thing long ago. Thanks, Mom!]
2 comments:
Nana is so proud of you too, Morgan!! I just knew you would not wear diapers to Kindergarten!! You can call me too and brag about all your deposits!! I have heard a lot of bragging over the phone over the years!!!Congratulations to Mommy and Daddy too-that is hard work to potty train a toddler!!
So cute, Robin! Tyler's nickname was "naked Ty" for a couple years because he was just naked all the time... but you're right! That's how he potty trained! Cameron, too - but Elie has been a doozy! The most stubborn of my 3 by far - and that is SAYING something! Good luck! :)
Post a Comment