Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snow Days!


Last winter when we had snow, Morgan was only a few months old and barely knew who I was, let alone what snow was. But over the weekend we were in Portland for Sunday's snowstorm, so Morgan got to really experience snow for the first time. Despite the chilly weather, we ventured out to walk around the Pearl District with Aunt Kim, Grandpa Ron, and Grandma Dinda. Morgan didn't seem too impressed with all the white stuff and was definitely not interested in touching it. But she was a good sport for her enthusiastic family.We made it home from Portland safely on Sunday to see no snow here in the valley. But Monday morning we woke up to a couple of inches and school was canceled! Yes, it messes up all my teaching plans, but I have to say that I get almost as excited as my students about a snow day. There is something very special about being in a warm, cozy house cuddling with my daughter, as snow falls outside. But I did bundle up Morgan again so we could wander around our street in the snow. (Thank you to Kim, Erica, and Dinda for supplying Morgan with her warm winter clothes!) Despite being puffed up like the little kid in "A Christmas Story," Morgan was able to waddle around in the snow pretty well. While she doesn't really see snow as something to play with, she definitely loved watching the excited neighbor kids and dogs run around and play. She did fall once with a face plant in the snow, but I don't blame her for crying about that.Here is some video of Morgan walking around in front of our house.

Today I am home for our second snow day, and I'm beginning to wonder if I will leave the house this week. It's about 13 degrees and sunny here right now, and all that snow has turned into ice. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take Morgan outside for some fresh air with it being so cold and slippery. And with more snow or freezing rain coming tomorrow, I'm thinking my Christmas vacation got started early this year. Oh well.... I can think of nothing better than having a day in p.j.s with my favorite little girl.

No comments: