Today I was sitting with Morgan while she was playing on the floor. Suddenly she pitched forward, hitting her face on her book basket. A lot of times those kind of things don't faze her, but I could tell that one hurt. She immediately started crying - real tears with a cry I rarely hear - so I scooped her up to comfort her. Fortunately, it was about time for her to eat, so I was able to calm her right down by nursing her. In that moment, I felt so pleased I could soothe her so easily with something that we do all the time. I felt so needed and so happy to be there in that little moment of her life.
I started thinking about how our relationship - Morgan's and mine - has changed lately. She has always needed me for something, and it was rare that I could be apart from her for very long. Going to work was the most I'd been away from her. Just this past weekend, though, we left her overnight for the first time with Ron & Dinda. It was a bit of a milestone for me, but not nearly as strange as I thought it would be. So now that she is older, I feel like I am getting a little more appreciation for all the things I do for her. She smiles a little bigger for me, she laughs as though she gets my silly jokes, she holds her arms us to me asking to be picked up, and she looks back to make sure I'm watching her crawl and explore the world. In a lot of ways, she needs me far less - she can move around on her own and is so busy taking in everything going on around her. And honestly, I know it will be a very long time (or perhaps never?) for her to appreciate all the things I do for her. But that's not why people have kids now, is it?
This is Morgan giving me a "kiss."
No comments:
Post a Comment